How to cook the perfect T-Bone Steak
• 900g T-bone steak, from the sirloin end (about 3-cm thick)
• Coarsely ground black pepper
• 1 to 2 tbsp oil, like groundnut, corn, or soy
• Serving suggestions: Compound butter
1) Preheat the oven to 230C/Gas Mark 8. A half-hour before cooking, remove steak from the refrigerator.
2) Heat a large skillet over high heat. Pat steak dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Add oil to hot skillet and when it begins to smoke add steak.
3) Reduce heat slightly and cook steak until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer skillet to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into the steak registers 50 degrees C for medium-rare, about 6 to 8 minutes.
4) Transfer steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut steak from the bone and carve meat across the grain.